keeping bow down in larger waves

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bass boats.

keeping bow down in larger waves

Postby andywbass » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Dear All,
Five months ago, I put a 2013 E-tec 200 H.O. on my 2006 190 Pro-V, single console. (I formerly had a 2007 E-tec non H.O.). The new engine is 92 pounds heavier than the old one. My question concerns running against 3 foot and larger waves. When I trim down and slow down to get through them, I have trouble keeping the bow down, even with gas tanks only 1/2 full, no water in the livewell, and no partner on board. At times, it seems as if the boat might even flip over. I was using a Mercury 25" High Five prop. (I also have a 25" Fury prop). In the bilge/fuel compartment, along with the gas tanks, I have 3 batteries totaling 152 pounds, my oil reservoir which is about
1 1/2 gallons, a Volvo Penta pump for the hydraulic jack plate which is a Hydro Jacker High Speed with an 8" setback, a light weight battery charger, bilge pump and livewell pump. Up front are the usual 12-15 rods/reels, tackle, gear, and 24 volt trolling motor. I recently put my 15 pound anchor up front to help with my problem, but of course, 15 pounds is just a drop in the bucket. With my previous, LIGHTER engine, and a 23" High Five prop, I could keep the bow down a little better in the big waves. I understand that with almost any bassboat, 3 foot and larger waves can be a challenge and a person must be very cautious, and also that a 190 Pro-V is not a 202, and a 202 is not a 210, and so forth. However any advice would be appreciated.
Perhaps I should add weight up front by putting some sandbags in the front compartment. But I hate to add any extra weight to any boat.....that is why I bought this
1200 pound hull in the first place.....lighter weight! Right now, with a 200 pound partner and full gas tanks, and a livewell about 2/3 full, the "Persons, motor, and gear" is about 1580 pounds. (Coast Guard "maximum capacities" for Persons, motor, and gear for this boat is 1150 pounds). It might be nice to move the 2 trolling motor batteries up front, but that might be a logistical nightmare with securing them properly, accessing them, wiring, etc. If I could afford 2 lithium ion batteries, that weigh only 30 pounds each, (but cost $1299 each), I would get 2. I have been told to experiment with the height of the jack plate when in large waves, probably raising it as high as feasible, and I will do this next year when I can get more "seat time" with my setup. Also, I am wondering if I should put on a hydrofoil, to help keep the bow down against large waves. What do you guys think about all this???
I love my Blazer otherwise, with the new high output Evinrude, and it gets out of the hole great, and runs like a racehorse, especially with the Fury prop.
Thank you for any advice, Blazer staff, the Crafts, and anybody else reading this.
Sincerely,
Andy Williamson
Lake Andes, South Dakota
andywbass

Return to Bass Boats