2170 Electronics and gas fill issues.

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

2170 Electronics and gas fill issues.

Postby MTH4954 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:26 pm

I purchased a 2008 2170w/F150 recently and am having a few problems. I am having trouble putting gas in it. It literally took me 45 minutes to refuel it the other day. Something has to be wrong with the vent or something. The Yamaha gas guage isn't registering, and the Garmin 498 GPS system that was installed by the dealer cuts off constantly. Has anyone else had similar issues? Thanks.
MTH4954

Re: 2170 Electronics and gas fill issues.

Postby Mentalic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:49 pm

Here's a couple possibilities,
Vent line has a low spot where liquid gasoline can collect, mine originally had this problem.
Boat needs to be level or nose down to completely fill the tank.
Blazer Bay 2170, Yamaha F150, Minkota autopilot, Garman 178c
Mentalic

Postby topdog » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:23 pm

When I brought my 2420 for first fill-up it I notice release of pressure when removing fuel cap. Tried to put in fuel but could see it would have taken an hour to put in 80 gallons. Took it back to dealer and they checked vent on side of boat no problem but the line was completely blocked. Called Blazer and was told that once during assembley, the fuel line was put on without removing the pastic cap on the vent fitting. Had to cut an inspection hole inside console above fuel line connections to check. That was not the problem. The mechanic ran a wire up the vent hose and found a 3 inch plug of silicone!! This plug was 3 to 4 inches up the hose and could only have been put there on purpose. Sounds like a wise-guy or disgruntled employee. The dealer notified Blazer and so did I.
As an after thought, the service manager ask the yard hand, that put gas in the boat for the test run, if he had any problems. He said "not really, but it did take about 20 minutes to put in 15 gals"!!! This is what we have working on our boats sometimes!!!

Will start a new thread at later date and compare things on my boat that make you say "HUH"!!!
'07 2420 / F250 Yammie
topdog

Postby MTH4954 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks. I talked to the dealer and they believe there is a low spot in the vent line, as Mentalic suggests. As for the GPS issue, they believe the inline fuse on the power cord is causing the problem. Apparently, these fuses are held in by a spring and can be separated when running across chop, breaking the circuit. We'll see tomorrow when I pick it up....
MTH4954

Postby BlazinJim300 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:07 pm

My 2008 2420 after filling up the gas tank will spray a bunch of gas out of the vent on the side of the boat. Had a guy pull onside me at the red light saying I sprayed him with gas. Got out and checked the vent and sure enough there was gas all over the side of the boat. Don't know why it is doing that. Since then havent filled it up all the way and havent had that happen anymore. It will spray water out of the side where the bilge pump pumps out while going down the road. Its a sight to see water spraying everywhere while you're in traffic lol.
2008 2420 Professional/300 H.P.D.I.Image
BlazinJim300

Postby dyepac » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:59 pm

GPS issue i had the same problem with the fusees i changed mine out to where it is a pressin fuse like the ones in your car and there sealed in there..no problem since then..i change all of them in the boat about 2.00 at wally world and heat shrink the splices also.....

my 2 cents

dyepac
2220 pro,yammie 225 vmax...seafoam green
dyepac

Postby gdup » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:58 pm

I added a Fuel/Air separator made by Racor. They make two sizes. I put the big one in the vent line. Now I can fill the boat with no over flow out the vent. It works great. http://maesco.com/products/racor/r_fuel ... r_sep.html :D
2220Pro w/ 200HPDI, 80#MinnKota, 24volt onboard charger, Garman 541s, And a Huge Smile
gdup

Postby Mentalic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Yea I'm running a fuel vent line anti spill valve myself. Stops the gas from burping out the vent when filling. Still, if you park it full of gas with the bow high you may have issues with gas slowly weeping out even with the separator. When my tank is completely full I park it with the jack all the way down so the vent line is a real vent line, not a line thats covered with liquid...
Blazer Bay 2170, Yamaha F150, Minkota autopilot, Garman 178c
Mentalic

Postby Troutn about » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:42 am

Me too....never had this issue till a month ago. From the time of my 2170 purchase up until just about a month ago, it would fill easily ( after it burped )....but now, it is an absolue pain in the #$&..... :x Tried getting the bow as low as possible...no help......not sure what to do next....tried to call my dealer and discovered he no longer sells Blazer...guess Ill call the factory next. It took me nearly thirty minutes to put in about ten gallons..... :roll: :x :x :x

Is it possible that condensation has settled in the vent line :?
Troutn about

Postby todd river » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:23 pm

I can comment on the gas fill issue. I had the same problem when I first got my
2170. I called the Dealer & they thought it was a bad vent. Turned out it was not
the problem. After 3 visits we finally realized the vent hose was to long, and it
was causing a belly in the vent line.

I still found that I cannot fill it up like I would my truck. Still it is much better
then it was in the past. What you may or may not know is, the gas tank is located
in the rear of the boat. This information is from George at Blazer. Unlike the 22
with the liner it is located further to the front.

I had another problem, my boat is parked on an incline. George explained that the
boat would continue to vent, but it would be best not to fill it up. I have found that
as long as I keep it under half a tank it is not a problem.
Formerly know as Fowl River Todd.
todd river

Next

Return to Bay Boats