2170 offshore trip Venice, Empire Louisiana

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

2170 offshore trip Venice, Empire Louisiana

Postby ZACKROCK » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm

Im planning a fishing trip to one of the oil rigs either from Venice or Empire. Im running an 07 blazer bay 2170 with a 2 stroke 150. Im looking to go 7 to 12 miles out. What kind of conditions should I look for specific for this area of Venice and Empire. Im concerned with wind direction, wave height and what rig should I run to? By the way If Im going to run 7 should I go ahead and try to make 12 miles. My boat holds 50 gallons of gas. Am I looking for 1-2 foot seas or 1 foot seas? Tell me what you guys think. Im looking to go the next month or so. Unless the fishing gets better later on.
ZACKROCK

Re: 2170 offshore trip Venice, Empire Louisiana

Postby zebco202 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:26 pm

It's all about the wind my friend. Check weatherunderground.com and the NOAA site for up to date forecasts. The gulf can go from happy to pissed off in a hurry. You should be fine in a 2170. I have a 2220 fisherman and routinely go out into Black Bay, Lake Tambour and around Cocodrie. 1-2's are no prob, but keep your head in it. Good luck bro..

Zebco
zebco202

Postby Capt. Rory Rorison » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:23 pm

Pick your day carefully. Your best bet is to head out of South Pass. Keep running out the pass between the channel markers till they end. There is a rig right out of the pass that is great for reds and heads. Dead shrimp on the bottom. If you plan on heading out further do not hit this rig till you come back in. You do not want to get caught with reds in the boat in federal waters. You can hit it on the way out and try to catch some hardtails for bait to use further out. Small shad rigs tipped with shrimp dropped 10-15 down should get you some. Or you can use sabiki rigs for them. The Seven Mile Rigs are as they are named 7 miles from the pass. You should be able to see them once you get into the open water. It is over 300' deep there and have caught some big grouper and AJ's there. Drop live hardtails down 100-150 for AJ's and drop them to the bottom for grouper. Some times there are a lot of sharks there too. Be careful and good luck.
http://www.unitedcharters.com
First class speckled trout and redfish
fishing charters in Shell Beach, Louisiana
Capt. Rory Rorison

Postby ZACKROCK » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:35 pm

Im trying to post some pics of the keepers. Any instructions would be appreciated!
ZACKROCK

Postby todd river » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:31 pm

The 2170 can really handle those choppy seas. I normally stay inshore, but on a nice
day, and as long as I knew other folks were close by it would be okay.

My biggest concern would be only having one engine. That is why I stated having
other folks close by, and watching the weather. I guess we change our way of
thinking as we get older. I would not have thought twice when I was in my 20's,
and now at 51 I see things differently.
Formerly know as Fowl River Todd.
todd river

Postby Capt. Rory Rorison » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:48 am

ZACKROCK wrote:Im trying to post some pics of the keepers. Any instructions would be appreciated!

First your image needs to be hosted somewhere on the net. I use Photobucket, but there are many others. Once it is hosted you need to copy the URL (location of the file) and paste in between the this code. [img]web%20address%20goes%20here%20between%20this%20code[/img] There is a button for this when you are composing a post. Deypac made a post a while back with instructions that can be seen here. http://www.blazerboats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58&sid=2789bf3a0532a2252191604328da6e49
http://www.unitedcharters.com
First class speckled trout and redfish
fishing charters in Shell Beach, Louisiana
Capt. Rory Rorison

Postby ZACKROCK » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 am

The rouphest part of the trip was on the way in when we entered southwest pass. Large ship traffic and the current going out was huge! The bow dipped under slightly. Enouph to get some attention! On the way out we saw logs, not just limbs, but logs over 20 feet long moving with the current. At the 1st spillway we saw a 10 foot log sweeping though then what apeared to be a 12 foot trunk of a tree. We took our time going out and coming in the Mississippi. We also saw at least three bobbing logs which looked like corks dipping under the water and slightly coming to the surface. A large obsticle coarse! dont think we will go again until we put a bracket motor on the boat as well as wait for river conditions to improve.
ZACKROCK

Postby ZACKROCK » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:36 am

Just a few keepers! Snapper is out of season for a bit! We really had a blast. Look how dirty that water looks. It was brown. The fish didn't seem to notice!
ZACKROCK

Postby todd river » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:58 am

Zackrock we have the Mobile River which is nothing compared to the Might MS river.
I have seen logs floating down the river after a lot of rain has fallen north of us.
I can only imagine what the MS is like. :shock:
Formerly know as Fowl River Todd.
todd river

Postby ZACKROCK » Thu May 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Pompano in Venice
ZACKROCK

Return to Bay Boats