Transom Mount vs In Hull Transducer

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

Transom Mount vs In Hull Transducer

Postby hooknup » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:18 am

I am now a proud owner of a 1960 and just wanted to get a little advice on transducers. I was wondering if anyone has tried the In Hull transducer on a Blazer Bay. I just didn't know how they would respond with the Composite Construction. Any specifics on mounting areas would be appreciated. Oh and by the way I have decided on the Garmin 440s GPS/FF Combo. Thanks!!
hooknup

Re: Transom Mount vs In Hull Transducer

Postby rorgero » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:48 pm

FYI, I just purchased a 2220 fisherman 2008 and the only problem i had was with the hull mounted transducer. Depth finder would not work properly.Kept flashing 60 ft all the time and would not register depth. I spoke with the dealer about the problem and they stated that they were having problems with some of the boats with this type mount. They fix the problem by mounting the transducer to the transom.Works great.
I also spoke to the manufacture(Lowrance model LMS 520C) about the problem i had with the depth finder/GPS and they said that the transducer should be mounted with the right adhesive(epoxy) recommended by the manufactor. There should be no air between the transducer and the hull.I guess what I 'm tring to say is that if you mount it in the hull and it doesn't work and try to remove it you will rip the fiberglass. There is no sure thing if you mount it In hull style.The sure thing is to mount it on the transom. As per dealer Mech. They had to leave the transducer epoxied to my hull. I didn't want then to damage the fiberglass.
If you dicide to mount it in hull . Try not to mount it to close to a pump are electric motor. Electrical noise from the motors can cause the sonar not to work properly.Hope this helps. :)
rorgero

Postby hooknup » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks for the info.!! I have decided to go the safe route and use the transom mount. You know how it is though just reluctant to drill holes in the boat. Thanks again!!
hooknup

Postby Capt. Rory Rorison » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:12 pm

You could glue on a piece of Starboard with 5200 to the transom and the screw the transducer to that. No holes in the hull.
http://www.unitedcharters.com
First class speckled trout and redfish
fishing charters in Shell Beach, Louisiana
Capt. Rory Rorison

Postby Mentalic » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:49 am

Capt. Rory Rorison wrote:You could glue on a piece of Starboard with 5200 to the transom and the screw the transducer to that. No holes in the hull.

Now thats a good idea! 5200 never lets go.

Mine is shooting through the hull and works just fine for a level gauge which is about all I use it for. Still I wonder if I'm loosing resolution with this setup.
Blazer Bay 2170, Yamaha F150, Minkota autopilot, Garman 178c
Mentalic

Return to Bay Boats