Watch That fuel-water separator !

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

Watch That fuel-water separator !

Postby HookNUp1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 am

The bracket corroded on mine and it rusted through the canister after one season. Crud got in the fuel line but stopped by the engine filter. Whew. Switched to a stainless bracket and now add that area on my list of things to wash and spray down with protectant.
HookNUp1

Re: Watch That fuel-water separator !

Postby rhino » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:55 am

THanks for the heads up on that ! I got to ask though , what was the original bracket made of ? I just put one in my little boat , I bought it from Acadamy . I think it was made of alum.
rhino

I Second the Motion - Lesson Learned the Hard Way!!!

Postby saltybottom » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:20 pm

I had mine rust through as well recently. The only casualty I have ever had in the water with this boat turned out to be a hole in the bottom of fuel/water seperator down in the bilge. It had rusted through within a season. I used the one I believe made by Suzuki supplied from the dealer at regular maintenance.

Symtoms:
The boat wouldn't turn over, and couldn't pump up pressure with the bulb. Light fuel smell in the bilge. Knew it was obviously a fuel problem, but intially thought a crack in the line, or the bulb itself. Ended up finding a well hidden hole rusted in the bottom of the fuel/water seperator closest to the floor of the bilge. Must of gotten corroded from exposure to sea water at some point in time.

Nobody stopped to volunteer for the tow in after frantic waving of bright orange life jackets, out of phone range to call sea-tow. After dragging in my share of folks, when you're the one in trouble nobody returns the favor. Drifting in the middle of a ship channel with the sun setting in the west, Ended up swimming the boat in to the shoreline, and dragging it all the way back to the dock through knee-thigh deep nasty sinking black sticky smelly mud, breaking a sandal strap, losing the shoe, etc etc.

Moral of the story, CHECK YOUR FUEL/WATER SEPERATOR, Carry a Spare Onboard!! Invest in a VHF Radio when pocket book allows.

Good Luck!
saltybottom

Postby baybreaker » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:40 am

I have tried the yamaha fuel seperator but they develop lot of rust on the inside I have switched to a racor with a clear bottom and drain valve so now just take a flash light shine on the bottom and you will see any cloudiness or particles, cant let that gas now days sit to long ,,the ethanol treatments only work a little ,, I know its scary sitting in the bay /ship channel ships dont stop for no one , most lessons in life are learned sometimes the hard way i have had my share.
baybreaker

Postby rhino » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Baybreaker as much confidence as I have in Racur products I was out with a friend of mine, David, this past summer and he developed motor troublewhile we were out. It was a practically brand new Zuki {140(?)}. It exhibitted the same symptons described earlier by salytbottom. He got to messing around back there grabbing at the clear bottom filter like a blind grizzly bear wound up breaking the drain valve off. It was brittle. Come to find out the filter had more dirt in it than Southern Polotics. Learned alot of valuable lessons that day , one of 'em was just how much McGuyvering you can do with a Bic pen.
Another is nothing is infallable. The other is if you go with David don't have anywhere Ya' need to be.
rhino

Postby baybreaker » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:53 am

I have had my racor fuel seperator on over a year I think it is a great to be able to see thru that clear bowl on the bottom before it ever reaches the carbs or injectors when i first started having problems I unhooked my gas line and took the filter out I then pumped the gas to a clear container amazed how much water and trash came out once i was sure it was clear thats when i installed that racor they are more expensive but well worth the price , it is scary to start in right at dark and that motor wont crank about 400 dollars for towing , and not counting the danger of drifting into the ship channel , for those who have never been beside a 200 ft ship with it moving try it its like jumping into the water with your clothes own and thinking you can swim 50 yards sorry anit going to happen so moral of my experiences taking chances can cost you your life .
baybreaker

Return to Bay Boats