electical shock from my motor

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

electical shock from my motor

Postby baybreaker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 pm

has anyone knowledge why my yamaha 150 2 stroke shocks me even when its not running , if i am barefoot and touch the metal i will get shocked wet or not wet ??????????????
baybreaker
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: electical shock from my motor

Postby Cyndyr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:37 am

When you say 'shock' are you talking like a static shock or a sustained jolt of continuous current?
Cyndyr
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: electical shock from my motor

Postby baybreaker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:31 pm

its strong enough to make you weary everytime you touch the metal on the motor its not static shock for sure its to strong wet feet no shoes not sure how many volts it is but i will try and test it today with my dc volt meter???
baybreaker
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: electical shock from my motor

Postby rhino » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:07 pm

Question , is your on-board battery charger plugged in when this happens ? I'll let ya' go from there
rhino
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:47 am

Re: electical shock from my motor

Postby baybreaker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:52 pm

I just finished checking the electrical shock problem no shock when i unplug ny battery charger from charging , when i plug it back in lot of a c volts from the foot to ground still dont understand this one????
baybreaker
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: electical shock from my motor

Postby baybreaker » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:41 am

I found that it shocks me when the 24 volt trolling motor batterys are charging once my light goes green on my guest charger the a c volts goes away no more shock need help on this???
baybreaker
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: electical shock from my motor

Postby rhino » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:06 pm

You got some problems there baybreaker . The most obvious thing that you got going on is the 120 v ac feeding the battery charger is back feeding somehow to the negative side of your electrical system . Normally I would say that since it is your trolling motor battery charger it should be isolated from your starting battery in turn isolated from the motor which is "grounded" to the negative . It is soumding like it might be bonded somewhere possibly a ground or negative bus bar. Since you are touching the motor barefooted you are compleating the circuit which in turn could be for starters you lost a nuetral somewhere and it is looking for an easier path to ground , that would be you . Or it is shorted out somewhere , this is vague that's why it's a starting point , and you're getting ac where it should'nt be , obviously .
What you're gonna have to do is start check everything from the source , like a river . I would start with extension cord . Make sure it looks good , if has a factory end good . If it has one of those replacements ends make sure it is put on right . After that trace out the wires that come from the male plug that goes through the console back to the charger . Make sure everything looks good , isolate the secondary side ( the wires going to the batteries ) check the voltage coming off them , check for a/c , d/c and polarity . If you have any ac voltage on the secondary side the charger is shot more than likely .The diodes in the full wave rectifier no good

This should get ya going emial if need anything
rhinolu995@bellsouth.net
rhino
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:47 am

Re: electical shock from my motor

Postby baybreaker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:06 am

thanks for the reply I checked the cord and used another cord and another outlet no shock rewired the ground fault , no shock , found blown fuses on my cranking battery , that feed my live wells, my neighbor who is a marine electrican could not find anything wrong because it was not showing a c volts from motor to ground , mystery ??? lighting could have went thru my extension cord with a ground fault thru the charger but it is still charging cutting off and on like it is suppose to , did have a battery blow up 3 weeks ago that is on my 24 volt system that is being charged lot of little possibilities all around that might be happening but until it shows a c volts from motor to ground again i am loss my trolling motor repair man said for me to leave my system charing 24/7 not anymore , so hope anyone that has had any problems like this let me know and beware it can happen to their motor also, wet feet and hands are no fun with ac voltage.
baybreaker
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:46 pm


Return to Bay Boats

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron