console screws

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

console screws

Postby neverenough » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:10 pm

what kind of solution does blazer have for the console screws that hold down the console to the boat? they keep backing out under normal use. the prior owner and myself had n.w. florida re-install. i see that they had put silicon on them and reinstalled but, they are still backing out. it also looks like it has the largest screws you can buy already installed. i have heard these screws and some 5200 is all that holds the console on. :o also, what do you guys reccomend i do for the upolstry staples rusting and causing some bad staining especially cooler on the front of the console? :cry: should i look for copper or zinc staples?
2220 professional 300 hpdi
"Never Enough"
neverenough

Re: console screws

Postby Mentalic » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:08 pm

Did they apply the 5200 to the screw threads? Might work.

I just make sure to spray wax the boat before taking it home. Helps to prevent the "stainless" steel rust. If you want stainless staples be sure to get 316 grade stainless.
Blazer Bay 2170, Yamaha F150, Minkota autopilot, Garman 178c
Mentalic

Postby neverenough » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:08 pm

ya, i already 5200 them in myself after they did it immediatly after it came back fom the shop. and would you believe the damn things are backing out with 5200 as well, but not near as bad. i appreciate the info on the staples. any idea were to get such? i called a few upolstry shops before, but they all just blew me off. thanks for the input!
"Never Enough"
neverenough

Postby Mentalic » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:58 am

Wow 5200 is magic stuff and that did not work.... Well there's always JB weld on the threads but the screw hole and screw really needs to be clean for epoxy to work. Another possibility, I have used machine thread screws to mount hardware on my 2170 instead of the wood screw types. I did this with the thought that they would be less likely to back out because of the higher thread pitch. None have backed out yet. I think I also used a smaller sized drill than typically recommended for the taps, maybe a few thousandths less. I used 5200 on the threads of the machine screws to hold them and prevent water from getting in the cracks.
Blazer Bay 2170, Yamaha F150, Minkota autopilot, Garman 178c
Mentalic

Postby Isle of Palms » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:59 am

If there is a way to get in there and thru-bolt the console then that is what I would do. Even if you have to add a deck plate.
Blazer Bass Boats - Costa Del Mar Sunglasses
Isle of Palms

Postby Butch » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:39 pm

The only suggestion I have would be to fiber glass the console to the floor. You may have to sand the gelcoat around the perimiter of the console. A good fiberglass person could glass that console in and make it look really good and strong. You may have to get the gel coat from Blazer to make a good color match. 8-)
Butch

Postby Blazer Johnnie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:56 am

I am reading the posts about the screws backing out from the console mounting (which is going to happen) but is your console coming loose? It shouldn't with the 5200. If it is, get it back to your dealer ASAP please and have them call me.

Blazer Johnnie ;)
Blazer Johnnie
Site Admin

Postby neverenough » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:50 am

thanks for all the info! i might try the machine screw in a larger size with the 5200. i can't get in there to clean the area that is why the 5200 only slowed my problem. i would have to cut a access hole under the console to thru bolt, that is something i have dreaded doing. thanks again guys!!!

johnnie, the console has not come apart from the boat as far as i can tell. if you feel confident that the 5200 will be sufficient to hold it in place i will just do as stated above with the machine screws w/5200.
"Never Enough"
neverenough

Postby Blazer Johnnie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:51 am

The 5200 should definately hold it but remember you can ALWAYS take it to your dealer and we will take care of it.

Blazer Johnnie ;)
Blazer Johnnie
Site Admin

Return to Bay Boats