Boat Trailer

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

Boat Trailer

Postby Troutn about » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:27 pm

I have a 2170 that I purchased back in 2006. The trailer had the four bunks but the forward bunks would burn the hull ( rub the gel-coat and paint off ). If you seldom use your boat, it probably would not be an issue, but mine is used about three or four times a week. I was directed to contact Don at Starline which I did and took it to him. We discussed it and he replaced the forward bunks with keel rest...I think all the trailers are built like this now...I could be wrong though. Well, this worked fine for a short time but it has taken its toll on the keel over time and is pretty banged up. I have had it worked on twice and just have not done it again....tired of spending the money. I tried a keelguard which works fine, but over time..it pulled off...I spoke to them and they said that they do not recommend boat applications for trailers that have a keel rest....basically, it cant withstand the friction from the weight ( in such a small area ) when unloading and loading. Has anyone went back to the bunks after using the keel rest?? And if so, what has worked for you?? Im reluctant to take it back to Starline....I was told that this would solve the issue, which it did not. Im not sure what else they can do. Don was pretty much at a loss on what else that could be done. A friend of mine has a Kenner and our hull are basically the same...His trailer is a drive on and does not skuff his hull...The design is pretty good too..but I dont think the starline can be done the same. Any suggestions...??? I love my boat and hate to see it getting banged up at the launch.
Troutn about

Re: Boat Trailer

Postby Mentalic » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:29 pm

I think my 2004/5 trailer is likely the same as yours. The original setup would scuff the hull badly no matter how you launched/loaded the boat. So I worked with my dealer (GnF) and Starline back in 2004 and together we came up with a workable solution to prevent the front boards from scuffing the boat badly. I thought the current Starline trailers changed there design but I have not been to the dealer in a couple of years to see.

Anyway what was done on my trailer was cut a angle on the inside of the boards and add two rollers that only support weight when the boat is moving off and on the trailer. Mainly the rollers prevent the narrow bow from droping down in the boards when launching and from pinching into the boards when loading. Rollers were set by running them up with the boat sitting on the boards to prevent the rollers from causing pressure points. This has been holding up well and I don't have any scuff marks on my hull. Take a look at these pictures of the roller setup.

Blazer Bay 2170, Yamaha F150, Minkota autopilot, Garman 178c
Mentalic

Postby topdog » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:53 pm

I bought a 2420 in March of 2007. By the middle of the summer, the carpet on the trailing edge of the front bunks were worn through. My bunks are not welded,but are not ajustable. I plan to lower the rear support a 1/4" + by drilling new holes. If this does not work,I will try the rollers if you guys have success. Good luck and keep us posted!!
'07 2420 / F250 Yammie
topdog

Postby Blazer Johnnie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:52 am

After the first of the year, I will have Don at Starline take a look at this posting and discuss these issues with him to see if he can come up with a solution for you cats.

Blazer Johnnie ;)
Blazer Johnnie
Site Admin

Postby velvet tines » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:29 pm

i had to have my trailer reworked in milton, florida (eddie english custom trailers). no problem since. was about $275 but i'm not scuffing or scratching my gel coat. shouldn't have had to do that but starline was out of options.
velvet tines

Postby catman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:34 pm

I have 2006 with the same problem it at the deal now.
catman

Postby todd river » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:43 pm

I also own a 2006 2170 Blazer Bay. I was wondering if you have the tandem trailer.
I had a friend who bought a 2007 2170, and even though it was a starline trailer,
it was a totally different trailer then mine. I think she was having problems like
you described.

I have 4 sets of bunks. Short ones in the front. My Dealer told me to always make sure that
the front bunks are a good few inches in the water, when I drive it back on. I never had any
problems, and I did get a keel guard for extra protection. I do have a tandem trailer.
Formerly know as Fowl River Todd.
todd river

Postby Troutn about » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks for the input guys...Mentalics set-up looks pretty good. Having the forward bunks under water is not an option for me....on a flood tide..maybe, but the ramps I use are primarily shallow water ramps. Ive purchased two adjustable forward bunks and im gonna try that with a roller maybe as Mentalics is. IMO, the trailer needs six bunks. Ill kepp yall up to date....
Troutn about

Postby catman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:35 am

Has anyone heard from starline on the boat trailer inssues.
catman

Return to Bay Boats