List of the good and bad for 1960

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

List of the good and bad for 1960

Postby 1960 BB » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:40 pm

My first post. I am very close to buying a 1960 BB. Could anyone make me a list of all the good things about this boat? And, could anyone make me a list of all the bad things about this boat? I read alot of you'll have issues with the starline trailer. Does the 1960's starline trailer have the same issures? How does the 1960 perform with a 140 Suzuki? This will be the first boat I buy new. I want to make sure of my purchase. Last question... how does this boat take a chop? Will it handle 3 foot offshore waves to nearby rigs? Will the liner crack if the anchor is accidentely dropped on it ? Any help is appreciated! I want as much information as you can give!
1960 BB

Re: List of the good and bad for 1960

Postby Build6001 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:08 am

I've had mine for over a year now and have been quite happy with it. I have the Yamaha F115 and I typically cruise at 30-32 at 3800-4200RPM. WOT is 39-40 and I get pretty good mileage at my normal speed, ~4.5mpg. The boat handles rough water very well, better than some much larger and heavier deep-v's I've been on even. I fish all over Lake P, Terrebonne Parish, in the marshes, out by the islands, even a few miles offshore if the weather looks good. My Starline trailer originally came with non-steel belted tires and I did have the tire wear issues reported here (bad wear on the inside). About 6 months ago, Starline sent me some steel belted ones and they seem to be holding up fine now. My only compliant I guess is that the scuppers don't really drain the boat well when you're washing it (they do fine draining water when you're running it, so not a safety problem).

Overall, I think the 1960 is a pretty nice boat and great value at the price.
1960 with Yamaha F115 4 stroke, 80# Minn Kota, and Lowrance 522C on Starline aluminum trailer
Build6001

Postby 1960 BB » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks for the reply! Do the hatches keep water out of the compartments-- are they dry? I was worried about putting a 94 qt ice chest in front of the console for fish. But, there is still room to walk around the ice chest! I am very impressed with the boat from what I see. I headed to Cajun Outboards and talked with the salesman for over an hour. He was extemely helpful. Other than the tires... no other issues with the trailer? How dry of a ride is the boat in a 1ft chop; 2-3ft chop? I am thinking of powering it with a 140 Suzuki. I am guessing I may get 45mph at wot? This motor should sip gas. Last question... do you regret not going with a 21 ft boat? Or, is the ride that good?
1960 BB

Postby Build6001 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:11 pm

The hatches are fairly watertight, but not perfect. I once got into some really rough stuff when a storm kicked up on Lake P and had some serious waves breaking over the bow and the front compartments got a little water in them. But, in normal conditions I've never had a problem. I typically keep anything that needs to be dry in a dry bag since I'm yet to find a place in a boat that never gets wet.

I bought mine at Cajun Outboards too, from Toby. Good place to deal with and they gave me a solid price on my trade in.

Your upper body won't get wet, even in 3' seas, though your shoes might (see above). In 1' chop, you'll hardly notice. I honestly feel that my 1960 handles chop better than the 22' deep V Parker I also fish out of.

No other issues with the trailer, but I did add a few things to it. Namely, it didn't have a safety chain or transom tie downs, both of which I added. The tie downs make a noticeable difference in how it handles when towing too. Also got a mywedge for the motor, since the trailer doesn't have an easy way to put on a traditional motor support bracket.

No regrets in getting the 19' at all. Its been a great boat and its size makes it easy to handle in the marsh (I do a lot of inside fishing in the winter) and makes it easy to get into my carport at home. I've had 3 other people fishing with me numerous times and if everyone is competent, its plenty big enough for 4 people. My only 'regret' is that I didn't get the larger motor. Don't get me wrong, the 115 is entirely capable of pushing it well. But, with a 140, I bet you could easily break 50 :)
1960 with Yamaha F115 4 stroke, 80# Minn Kota, and Lowrance 522C on Starline aluminum trailer
Build6001

Postby 1960 BB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Is the linear on the 1960 really non-skid? Does it get slippery with fish guts or blood? When the deck gets wet? Are there any stress cracks in the linear? How hard is it too clean the linear? What cleaner works the best for you? Thanks for the help so far!
1960 BB

Postby Build6001 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 am

Yes, its a non-skid liner. I've never had any problems with it being slippery when wet or bloody. No stress cracks anywhere. I usually just use Simple Green to clean it, which works pretty well. A couple times a year, I'll hit it with some clorox tooo clean off any stains the Simple Green doesn't get. Overall, its not too difficult of a boat to clean.
Build6001

Postby 1960 BB » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm 95% sure this will be my boat in about 5 months. I was wondering if you have any problems with screws loosening in the center console? If an anchor is dropped on the linear, will it chip/crack-- overall how tough is the linear? How tough are the floors of the compartments-- would an anchor put a hole at the bottom of the anchor box while hitting waves? Thanks.
1960 BB

Postby Build6001 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:02 am

No problems with screws loosening in the console or anywhere else. Also haven't really had any problems with rust stains, either.

Yes, if you drop an anchor on the liner, you'll chip it. Just like every other fiberglass boat in existence :)

I keep my anchor in the box most of the time and have been through plenty of chop with it in there. No cracks or other problems because of it.
Build6001

Postby 1960 BB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Would a 62 inch shaft trolling motor fit on the front deck without hanging over the edge? How much you paid for the 1960 with the 115 yam? Does the price include batts etc.? Would you say it is the best riding 19 foot boat out there?
1960 BB

Postby Build6001 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:42 am

Probably not, but you should go measure it out at the dealer to be sure.

I can't say its the best riding 19' available, since I haven't ridden on all of them of course. But its definitely the best one I've had personal experience with and better than 21' Bay Stealths and Rangers I've been on.

I got a fully loaded package (boat, motor, jackplate, trolling motor, batteries, on board charger, ice chest seat, GPS,etc) for ~27 (incl TTL) at Cajun Outboards.
Build6001

Next

Return to Bay Boats