Trolling motor plug in SEAL IT

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

Trolling motor plug in SEAL IT

Postby briscoec » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:27 pm

When I bought my 2020 I was a little disappointed to see that blazer does not use marine grade electrical wire (tin coated). Don't get me wrong, my boat is great. I have been in some terrible squalls and powered through them without a flaw. However, if you fish salt water it is only a matter of time before copper wire will literally disintergrate and quit carrying current. I caulked (sealed-off) my center console panel, however I forgot about the trolling motor plug/ trim switch. After two years of salt water fishing I started having some issues with the trolling motor outlet, on-off it would go, had to jiggle the cord constantly.

Today I opened it up and was required to cut back 2 feet of wire to repair the damaged copper (fortunately for me they had several extra feet of wire coiled up inside). After cutting to good wire I soldered the ends before reusing the plug. I also had to cut back on the trim siwtch wire, had to remove the plug section completely, it was so corroded.

If I were you I would look at this as soon as possible. Cut out the bad peice of blown up wire and then caulk the switch. That goes for your panel switches too!
briscoec

Re: Trolling motor plug in SEAL IT

Postby stms26 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:59 pm

I have been spraying corrosion inhibitor on everything, but didn't think about the trolling motor plug. Thanks, maybe I can stop the corrosion befor it gets too bad.
stms26

Postby jkolman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:11 am

My trolling motor on my 06 2220 Pro has been acting up. At one point, I would be going along fine and then it would slow down and barely spin. I made sure the batteries were fully charged and the plug and receptacle were clean, but it would still do the same. I took the trolling motor into a local repair shop and it checked out fine, so I decided to unscrew the panel in which the plug goes into. As I was pulling the panel free from the sealant and out to where I could see the connections, one of the positive wires fell out. As I was installing and tightening the connection, the ground wire fell out. After going through the connections, I found that they were all loose. The unit is a 24 volt system and was running on 12 volt since the connection was not tight. I have found this problem with many connections on my boat.
jkolman

Postby neverenough » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:16 am

i would also recommend spraying all your connections with t-9 from boeshield. most boat shops carry it. yamaha used to sell it as yamaha t-9.
2220 professional 300 hpdi
"Never Enough"
neverenough

Postby HookNUp1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:20 am

How about dielectric grease for that and the running light plug (which collects saltwater like crazy) ?
HookNUp1

Return to Bay Boats