Fueling up a 2400

Discussion of Blazer's line of Bay boats.

Fueling up a 2400

Postby Bryan Foti » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Last night took the boat to the Chevron station for it's first fill up. I was excited to have the filler hose located on the same side as my truck this time around, unlike my last Blazer Bay. Well, almost immediately, I ran into trouble. The boat sook approximately 1 gallon of gas, then "burped" gas out the filler port. Not a bunch of gas, but enough to make my blood pressure rise. Then, it would only take fuel very slowly, so slow the automatic nozzle was not pressed for enough to lock in place. Finally, after 75 gallons, the boat would not take another drop of fuel. I know I have an 80 gallon tank in the hull, but is it truly 80 gallons or just an approximate. Also, my truck is a Chevy 2500 HD Duramax so is it sitting too high to be filled correctly? Ever since I pulled out of the station, small amounts of fuel would spill out of the vent line when I accelerated. I know I have a learning curve for the new boat, but if someone else has the same problem, maybe I can cut my fuel loss and fire hazards by getting some more info!

Thanks for any input!
Bryan Foti

Re: Fueling up a 2400

Postby tugboat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Bryan, I have 2400 2008 and I have the same problem, the vent tube is in the rear of the boat. I thought they resolved this problem by running the vent tube to the bow of the boat. A friend just bought his, and I don't think he has this problem.
tugboat

Postby mawshmasta » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Bryan I do not have that problem with my 2010. It will take the gas as fast as you can pump it. Bad thing is the vent is on the starboard bow and the fill inlet is on the port side near the transom, so if it were to belch gas out of the vent you would not know it . When I fuel I try to have the boat level and I watch the gauge. this gets me close enough to full.
mawshmasta

Postby rhino » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:50 pm

I've got a 2010 2170 , I'm riddin' the learning curve . This is my first BIG boat so I got alot to learn . Brian me and my problems are simalar that if I fill it up to far it will PUKE GAS out the vent tube which is port side near the transom . Where we differ is that I can fill the boat up as fast as I can pump it , just like mawshmaster . I was going to start a thread about this topic but I see you beet me to it . I was looking through a West Marine catalog and they have this vent tube thing like a one way valve , they say it help with the over filling .
The other day I was backing up the truck to the boat and oh I dont know , misjudged things , bumped the tongue of the trailer with the rear truck bumper . I didn'nt think that I was going that fast but I saaw gas shoot out of the vent . I'm wondering if it is supposed to be that way I know I might have had a little over filled .
Anybody knows if Blazer put any type of one way valve on the vent tube , if so mine aint working well .
Thanks
Ryan
rhino

Postby Lngshrman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:36 pm

I've posted this on here before. I installed a Racor Lg100 fuel/air separator on my vent line and it stopped the problem. Fill up wide open and no splashing from the vent. Just google it and you will see an article from BoatUS about it.
Lngshrman

Postby Bryan Foti » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks for posting Longshoreman!!! I have to make a trip to West Marine in the morning, so I will get one or order one! I just finished shortening both the fuel and vent lines on my new boat. I took a bunch of pictures to post on Photobucket so I can show everyone what I did to rig this boat our and hopefully save some heartaches or headaches in the future for someone else. I will wait until the boat is completed and on the water to post all the pics.
Bryan Foti

Postby hlmoore » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:36 am

Am in the process on mound a LG100 in my 2002 Bay 21. The vent line is rumming a bout a 45 degree . The instruction says to mount it vertically or more more the a 60 degree angle. How much angle are you set up at? . Maybe I will have to install 2 each 90 degree to make it complete verticaly . Yall have a good day.
hlmoore

Postby Bryan Foti » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:50 am

Good question Mr. Moore! I have been looking online to find that exact answer since the way my vent line exits the floor, I will also have to make some modifications to make it fit vertically. I may try mounting it at an angle, then see if it needs to be re-mounted before doing anything else. Not sure what I will do at this point, but I know I have to do something to be able to fill up better than the first time I got it to the pump! Very interesting topic.
Bryan Foti

Postby rhino » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks Longshoreman ! That's great ! Now this got me wondering . If the boats are coming out of the factory this way where fuel is able to exit the boat , what is going to stop water from entering the vent line and into the gas tank ? Man , I bought a NEW boat becouse I don't like having to WORK on things .
rhino

Postby fishpainter » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 am

We have a 09' 1860 with the same problem. It would take us 30 min to put 10 gallons in.We just shortened the fuel line and its been problem free for over a year now.
fishpainter

Next

Return to Bay Boats